Data Structure Concepts
Data Structure is a way of collecting and organising data in such a way that we can perform operations on these data in an effective way. Data Structures is about rendering data elements in terms of some relationship, for better organization and storage. For example, we have data player's name "Hitesh" and age 26. Here "Hitesh" is of String data type and 26 is ofinteger data type.
We can organize this data as a record like Player record. Now we can collect and store player's records in a file or database as a data structure. For example: "Gayle" 30, "Sachin" 31, "Parth" 33
In simple language, Data Structures are structures programmed to store ordered data, so that various operations can be performed on it easily.
Data Definition defines a particular data with following characteristics.
- Atomic − Definition should define a single concept
- Traceable − Definition should be be able to be mapped to some data element.
- Accurate − Definition should be unambiguous.
- Clear and Concise − Definition should be understandable.
Data Object represents an object having a data.
Data type is way to classify various types of data such as integer, string etc. which determines the values that can be used with the corresponding type of data, the type of operations that can be performed on the corresponding type of data. Data type of two types −
- Built-in Data Type
- Derived Data Type
Built-in Data Type
Those data types for which a language has built-in support are known as Built-in Data types. For example, most of the languages provides following built-in data types.
- Boolean (true, false)
- Floating (Decimal numbers)
- Character and Strings
Derived Data Type
Those data types which are implementation independent as they can be implemented in one or other way are known as derived data types. These data types are normally built by combination of primary or built-in data types and associated operations on them. For example −
The data in the data structures are processed by certain operations. The particular data structure chosen largely depends on the frequency of the operation that needs to be performed on the data structure.
Popular Data Structure Concepts articles and code snippets
- Types Of Data Structures
- Introduction to Algorithms
- Key features of an algorithm
- Analysis Terms
- Space Complexity And Different case of Time Complexity
- Asymptotic Notations
- Store session and data received with socketio
- String trend-analysis (suggestions for data structure)
- Is this database structure designed efficiently?
- Cassandra NoSQL - optimal data structure for domains and pages
- How does stackoverflow find users to give them their notifications?
- What Erlang data structure to use for ordered set with the possibility to do lookups?
- Laravel use of PHP Linked List implementation SplDoublyLinkedList();